Located in the ground floors of the historic River House, a 1930 apartment building standing on the banks of the East River in midtown Manhattan, the River Club welcomed the membership of New York's most prominent families - including the Astors, Roosevelts, and Vanderbilts - when it opened in 1931. The Club sought to update its locker rooms and to enhance its sports offerings to include two new squash courts, a new gym, and an indoor golf center. Our challenge was to achieve these renovations while maintaining and improving the existing electrical and air-conditioning systems of the entire building. The result is a synthesis of tradition and innovation. The re-opened club, occupying an area of 65,000 square feet, combines the trappings of a luxury club - mahogany paneling in the pro-shop and elegantly tiled locker rooms - and cutting edge technology - an interactive squash training module and a digital golf simulator.